This month's notes: March 2014: The weather is great, apples are ripe (see our apple varieties guide), hayrides, Fall fun and corn mazes are open now! See this page for hundreds of easy canning and freezing instructions/recipes, canning equipment guide! Also make your own ice cream - see How to make ice cream and ice cream making equipment and manuals. Then see each state's crop availability calendar for more specific dates of upcoming crops. Organic farms are identified in green! See our guide to local fruit and vegetable festivals!. Please tell the farms you found them here - and ask them to update their information!!
Pressure Canners and Pressure Canning Supplies - Great prices, wide selection, fast delivery, reliable service
Ordering Pressure Canners and Related Canning Supplies
If you want to can low-acid foods such as red meats, sea food, poultry, milk, and all fresh vegetables with the exception of most tomatoes, you will need a pressure canner. These foods fit into the low acid group since they have an acidity, or pH level, of 4.6 or greater. The temperature which must be reached and maintained (for a specified amount of time) to kill the bacteria is 240 F. Pressure canning is the only canning method recommended safe by the U.S.D.A. for low-acid foods such as vegetables, meats, and fish. Ordinary water bath canners can only reach 212 F and can not to kill the types of bacteria that will grow in low acid foods. This temperature can be reached only by creating steam under pressure as achieved in quality pressure canners.
Whether you are canning low acid foods like green beans, corn and other vegetables for your first time or in your 50th year of canning; all the supplies you need are here, and at the best prices you'll find anywhere! Scroll down this page for photos, descriptions, prices and ordering information. Just scroll down this page to see the selection of pressure canners.
For other supplies:
- Books on canning, freezing, drying, preserving and jam making
- Pectin for making jams, jellies and preserves
- Strainers, pit removers, seed-skin-stem removers, jelly strainers, etc. All types, makes and prices (from $19 to $350)
- Vacuum Foodsealers for freezing, dried foods, and refrigerated foods - the FoodSaver line
- Food dehydrators - easy and fast to dry your own fruits, veggies, sun-dried tomatoes, etc.
- Canning Lids and Rings,
- Canning jars,
- Canning mixes, pectin, etc.
- Pickling supplies, equipment, crocks and additives
- Home Canning Miscellaneous Parts and Supplies - jar lifters, funnels, jar tongs, replacement parts for canners, canning racks, strawberry hullers, cherry pitters and more? Great prices, wide selection, fast delivery, reliable service
- And just for fun, the history of the canning jar
You can read a discussion about why foods should be processed in a canner on this page" "Why do I need a canner?"
For more information, and NO obligation to buy, just click on the links in the Amazon boxes on the left!
There are several manufacturers of pressure canners. The two leading ones are Presto and All American (Wisconsin Aluminum). They are more expensive than water bath canners, but they are extremely well built - I bought mine in 1988 and it still looks and works like new!
If you're new to pressure canning, see this page for a complete description of how pressure canners work, why they're better, and step-by-step directions on how to use one!
And if you lost the instruction manual for your canner, click here for free downloads of many canner's instruction manuals!
Obviously, the Presto canners are the least expensive. And I have one that I have been using since 1988. But I also have an All-American, the design of which does not require a gasket, so it should last forever. But you have to buy what you can afford.
As to size, well, bigger is usually better because it takes time to heat and vent the canner, process the veggies, then wait for it to cool down to open it. So, a larger canner holds so many jars, that means you may be able to do your entire batch in one cycle. You do not need to fill the canner each time - you can can with one jar in it, or a full load. With pressure canners, unlike water bath canners, you can stack the jars. This means the larger canners can handle many jars at once, like 19 to 32 pint jars in one pressure canning batch. That really speeds up your canning.
Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner
This is usually about $80 PLUS SHIPPING. (which is a GREAT price for a pressure canner). There is also a 16 quart version for about $69. Click on the links at left or above for more info and current pricing. It is also available from Amazon .com (click on the box link at left).
- 17 by 15-1/2 inches; 12-year warranty
- Heavy-duty 23-quart aluminum pressure canner and cooker
- Comfortably ergonomic, stay-cool black plastic handles
- Strong-lock lid with pressure regulator, dial gauge, and overpressure plug
- Comes with canning rack to protect jars during
Presto 01755 16-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner
This is usually about $71 PLUS SHIPPING. (which is also a GREAT price for a pressure canner). Click on the links at left or above for more info and current pricing. It is available from Amazon .com (click on the box link at left) (
- 16-quart pressure cooker/canner holds 10 pint jars or 7 quart jars
- Constructed of extra-strong, warp-resistant aluminum; suitable for use on regular and smooth-top ranges
- Air vent/cover lock allows pressure to build up only when the cover is closed properly
- Easy-to-read gauge automatically registers a complete range of processing pressures
- Includes cooking/canning rack and complete instruction and recipe book
All American Pressure Canner and Cookers - In 3 Sizes
Click on the box at left to order from Amazon.com
- Exclusive "metal-to-metal" sealing system
- Automatic overpressure release and easy-to-read geared steam guage
- Professional quality, extra heavy duty cast aluminum
- The smallest size holds 19 pint jars and 7 quart jars; the largest holds 32 pint jars or 19 quart jars
- One-year warranty
- Available in many sizes, from 10.5 quarts, 15.5, 21.5, 25, 30 and 41 quarts; which hold up to an unbelievable 32 pint jars!
Prices range from about $189 to $399; but these are the Rolls Royce's of the home canning world, last a lifetime and can crank out serious volumes!
Pressure canners for Induction Cooktops!
- Extremely versatile, pressure canning is the only safe method of preserving low-acid foods with a ph level of more than 4.6.
- Can and store your favorite preservative-free recipes at once. Perfect for soups, vegetables, baby food and so much more!
- Reduces cooking time by up to 70%! Save time in the kitchen while preparing healthful recipes with all-natural ingredients.
- Pressure cooker can be used independently to prepare ready to serve meals. Fast cooking translates to less energy consumption.
- Save time in the kitchen while preparing healthful recipes with all- natural ingredients.
- Reviewers report excellent results on induction cooktops
Canning jars delivered to your doorstep and guaranteed! Any size you need. Click on the links below
8 oz canning jars shown below:
Quilted 4 oz jars below:
Canning Hand Tools
Buy quality canning helpers. These provide the home canner with the essential tools needed for safe and efficient home canning.
- Home Canning Kits
- Canning Jar Lifters
- Canning Lid Lifters
- Canning Jar Wrenches
- Kitchen Tongs
- Crinkle Cutters
- Canning Lid Sanitizers
- Canning Funnels
- Stainless Steel Wide Mouth Funnels
- Big Mouth Canning Funnel w/ Sieves
- Deluxe Stainless Steel Funnel w/ Strainers
- Ball Bubble FREER Spatulas
- Korona Stainless Steel, 6 Qt. Deep Colanders
- Stainless Steel Colanders
- 9 inch Granite Wear Colander
- Vegetable Brushes
- Cook's Tools
- Jelly Strainer Stand with Jelly Bag
- Jelly Strainer Bags
- Grip EZ Chopper/Scrapers
- Racsk for Water Bath Canners
- Strawberry Hullers
- Tomato Slicers
Canning & Preserving for Dummies
by Karen Ward
Average Customer Review:
Usually ships in 24 hours
The Ball Blue Book of Preserving
This is THE book on canning! My grandmother used this book when I was a child. It tells you in simple instructions how to can almost anything; complete with recipes for jam, jellies, pickles, sauces, canning vegetables, meats, etc. If it can be canned, this book likely tells you how! Click on the link at left for more information and / or to buy (no obligation to buy). (about $6.99)
Complete Guide to Home Canning and Preserving
by United States Dept. of AgriculturePractical, easy-to-follow guide contains virtually everything consumers need to know about home canning: how to select, prepare, and can fruits, vegetables, poultry, red meats and seafoods; how to preserve fruit spreads, fermented foods and pickled vegetables; how to prepare foods for special diets, and much more. Also includes scores of simply written recipes that even beginners can handle (smoked fish, turkey-tamale pie, chicken croquettes, more. It's the second book to get, after the Ball Guide. Click on the link at left for more information and / or to buy (no obligation to buy)
Food Preparation Equipment
Make the job faster and easier with these great tools!
In the UK, use this link:
It is tiring and laborious to prepare green beans for canning; there are so many of them and you do them all by hand. But wait there's a new device that makes it easy. Hmmm, actually, these devices have been around since our great-grandfather's day! Here are several different types and makes, some hand fed, some cranked: choose the one that meets your need and budget!
More Canning Supplies
Lids, Rings and Jars
Need lids, rings and replacement jars?
Pectin, Pickle Mixes and Sauce/Salsa Mixes
Making Jam? Need Pectin, but the local store is out?
Is your jam too runny? Pectin enables you to turn out perfectly set jam every time. Made from natural apples, there are also low-sugar pectins that allow you to reduce the sugar you add by almost half!
Get them all here at the best prices on the internet!
Pickling Mixes and Pickling Supplies
Whether you want dills or sweet pickles; canning them or straight into the refrigerator; there is a mix for every taste and need here!Get them all here, delivered direct to your home, at the best prices on the internet! Get everything you need to make pickles: mixes, salt, brine, etc. here!
Sauce and Salsa Mixes
Get ready season mixes for tomato sauces and salsas here. They make it simple to get it right every time!
(Shown is Ball brand - actual is Mrs. Wages brand)
Illustrated Canning, Freezing, Jam Instructions and Recipes
[ All About Home Canning, Freezing and Making Jams, Pickles, Sauces, etc. ] [FAQs - Answers to common questions and problems] [Recommended books about home canning, jam making, drying and preserving!] [Free canning publications to download and print]