Free Publications to Download Here about Home Canning, Freezing, Preserving and Making Jams and Jellies!
This month's notes: September 2014: Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries tomatoes, corn and most vegetables are being picked in most places; strawberries are finishing or done; Peaches are in and early apples have started. Find a local blueberry festival and blueberry picking tips here. See how easy it is to make strawberry jam or strawberry-rhubarb jam! Make your own homemade strawberry ice cream including low fat, low sugar and other flavors)) Have fun, eat healthier and better tasting, and save money by picking your own locally grown fruit and vegetables, and then using our easy canning and freezing directions!
Note: If a link below appears not to work, try holding the
Ctrl key while clicking
(you may have a pop-up blocker, and links that open in new windows, like the ones below, look like pop-ups to it)
USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning
Guide 01: Principles of Home Canning
Guide 02: Selecting, Preparing, and Canning Fruit and Fruit Products
Guide 03: Selecting, Preparing, and Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Products
Guide 04: Selecting, Preparing, and Canning Vegetables and Vegetable Products
Guide 05: Preparing and Canning Poultry, Red Meats, and Seafood
Guide 06: Preparing and Canning Fermented Food and Pickled Vegetables
Guide 07: Preparing and Canning Jams and Jellies
Other Government Publications
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Food Safety and Inspection Service (USDA-FSIS)
- Focus on: Freezing
- Food Safety of Jerky
- Refrigeration and Food Safety
- Focus on: Sausages
- Menu of USDA food safety and preparation publications
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (FDA-CFSAN)
- Approximate pH of Foods and Food Products
- How to Safely Handle Refrigerated Ready-to-Eat Foods and Avoid Listeriosis
- Unpasteurized Cider and Juice Can Contain Bacteria That Make Children and Some Other People Sick
Food and Agricultural Organization (UN-FAO)
These publications provide an educational review of topics for an international audience and should not be used for recommendations or guidelines for home food preservation in the United States.
- Fermented fruits and vegetables. A global perspective. 1998.
- Fruit and vegetable processing. 1995. 390 pp.
- Guidelines for small-scale fruit and vegetable processors. 1997. 195 pp.
- Small-scale sausage production. 1985.
The University of Georgia Factsheets
- Canning Fruit
- Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Products
- Canning Vegetables
- Drying Fruits and Vegetables
- Freezing Fruit
- Freezing Vegetables
- Freezing Prepared Foods
- Freezing Animal Products
- Jams and Jellies
- Jellied Products Without Added Sugar
- Uncooked Jams and Jellies
- Processing Jams and Jellies
- Steps in Processing Jams and Jellies
- Pickled Products
- Flavored Vinegars
- What to do if the Freezer Stops
- Canning Breads and Cakes
- Should I Vacuum Package Food At Home?
- Preparing Safer Jerky: HTML PDF
- Canning Pumpkin Butter and Mashed or Pureed Squashes: HTML PDF
- Using Boiling Water Canners: HTML PDF
- Using Pressure Canners:
"So Easy To Preserve"
The University of Georgia College of Family and Consumer Sciences and College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences are pleased to offer the 4th edition of So Easy To Preserve. This beautiful book contains the latest and safest United States Department of Agriculture recommendations as found in the 1994 Complete Guide To Home Canning.
So Easy To Preserve is a 314-page book with over 150 tested recipes along with step by step instructions and in-depth information for both the new and experienced food preserver. Chapters include Preserving Food, Canning, Pickled Products, Jellied Fruit Products, Freezing and Drying.
Other Universities' Publications
- North Dakota State University
- Oregon State University
- Penn State University
- University of California, Davis
[General picking tips and a guide to each fruit and vegetable] [How much do I need to pick? (Yields - how much raw makes how much cooked or frozen)] [Selecting the right varieties to pick] [All about apple varieties - which to pick and why!] [Picking tips for Vegetables] [ Strawberry picking tips] [ Blueberries picking tips]
Illustrated Canning, Freezing, Jam Instructions and Recipes
[ All About Home Canning, Freezing and Making Jams, Pickles, Sauces, etc. ] [FAQs - Answers to common questions and problems] [Recommended books about home canning, jam making, drying and preserving!] [Free canning publications to download and print]