Where in Virginia to find pick your own farms and orchards for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins and canning & freezing instructions!
This month's notes: July 2014: Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries tomatoes, corn and most vegetables are being picked in most places; strawberries are finishing or done; Peaches are in and early apples will start in late July. Find a local blueberry festival and blueberry picking tips here. See how easy it is to make strawberry jam or strawberry-rhubarb jam! Make your own homemade strawberry ice cream including low fat, low sugar and other flavors)) Have fun, eat healthier and better tasting, and save money by picking your own locally grown fruit and vegetables, and then using our easy canning and freezing directions!
- To see the pick-your-own farms and orchards for this area, click here or scroll down the page
- Crop availability / harvest calendar
- Farm markets, roadside stands, local meat, milk, eggs, local honey, horse riding, farm B&B's etc.
- To find pumpkin patches, corn mazes and other Halloween activities, click here.
- To find choose and cut-your-own Christmas tree farms, click here.
I'm always looking for suggestions of more farms and events to add and feedback about any you have visited, so if you encounter any, just click on the preceding link, as appropriate! And if you have a farm and want to add it or correct the information, please click on the link to "add my farm".
Remember: ALWAYS call (or follow the link to the farm's own website, if the name is a blue link) to confirm the information before you go! They may close, run out or change events, times, etc. without notifying me!
Pick your own farms in Virginia
Click on the list below, or on the map below for the area you are interested in.
- Click here for northern Virginia
- Click here for Central Virginia (Charlottesville, Staunton, Albemarle area)
- Click here for southeastern Virginia, including Richmond, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, etc.
- Click here for the Fredericksburg, Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula areas
Click here for the
Eastern Shore of Virginia
- Click here for Part of the Shenandoah Valley (Rockbridge, Rockingham, Augusta, Highland and Bath counties)
- Click here for Roanoke area of western Virginia
- Click here for the southwestern tip of Virginia
Current weather - click for forecast, or enter a zip code for a different location:
These pages have listings of Virginia pick your own farms and orchards. These include berries, vegetables, herbs, peaches, grapes, honey, apples, Christmas trees and pumpkins. The farms are listed alphabetically by County or major city. The harvest dates chart (click here!) indicates approximate times when the fruit or vegetable ready for picking in Virginia.
Many locations have special events, festivals, petting zoos, tours and lectures, and other special attractions. Be sure to call before you go - to ensure the farm is open and the fruit or vegetable is available - many farms get "picked out" early! the best time to go is anytime late in the week or early on a Saturday morning.
I'm always looking for more to add and feedback about any you have visited, so if you encounter any, please email me at the address at the bottom of the page! And if you have a farm and want to add it or correct the information, please let me know!
We also have a page with links to our own simple instructions on canning, freezing and drying many fruits and vegetables, such as how to make jam, apple butter, applesauce, spaghetti sauce, salsa, pickles, ketchup or freezing corn.
[General picking tips and a guide to each fruit and vegetable] [How much do I need to pick? (Yields - how much raw makes how much cooked or frozen)] [Selecting the right varieties to pick] [All about apple varieties - which to pick and why!] [Picking tips for Vegetables] [ Strawberry picking tips] [ Blueberries picking tips]
Illustrated Canning, Freezing, Jam Instructions and Recipes
[ All About Home Canning, Freezing and Making Jams, Pickles, Sauces, etc. ] [FAQs - Answers to common questions and problems] [Recommended books about home canning, jam making, drying and preserving!] [Free canning publications to download and print]