Where in Connecticut to find pick your own farms and orchards for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins and canning & freezing instructions!
This month's notes: April 2014: Spring is just around the corner. Strawberries are here in Florida, Texas and California, next in late March and April for much of the South, then in May for most of the country and June in cooler northern areas. See how easy it is to make strawberry jam or strawberry-rhubarb jam!
This page provides links to Connecticut's regional pages to find pick- your- own (PYO, U-pick, pick-it-yourself) farms for everything from apples, berries, fruit, pumpkins, vegetables to cut-you-own Christmas trees! I'm always looking for suggestions of more farms and events to add and feedback about any you have visited, so if you encounter any, just click on the preceding link, as appropriate! And if you have a farm and want to add it or correct the information, please click on the link to "add my farm".
Click on your area!
- Click here for Crop Availability Dates in Connecticut
- To find pumpkin patches, corn mazes and other Halloween activities, click here.
- To find choose and cut-your-own Christmas tree farms, click here.
Click on the map or links below in your area to locate a pick-your-own farm near you:
- Western Connecticut (Litchfield and Fairfield counties)
- Hartford and Tolland counties, Connecticut
- Southern Connecticut (New Haven and Middlesex counties)
- Eastern Connecticut (Windham and New London counties)
We also have a page with links to our own simple instructions on canning, freezing and drying many fruits and vegetables, such as how to make jam, apple butter, applesauce, spaghetti sauce, salsa, pickles, ketchup or freezing corn.
|Current weather - click for forecast, or enter a zip code for a different location:|
- Beans - mid May through early September
- Squashes - May through December
- Broccoli, Cabbages and Greens - May through December
- Strawberries - mid to late June
- Early Raspberries - early to mid July
- Blueberries - late July through August
- Sweet Corn - late July until the frost
- Peppers - August until the frost
- Tomatoes - August until the frost
- Fall Raspberries - late August until the frost
- Pumpkins - late September through October
[General picking tips and a guide to each fruit and vegetable] [How much do I need to pick? (Yields - how much raw makes how much cooked or frozen)] [Selecting the right varieties to pick] [All about apple varieties - which to pick and why!] [Picking tips for Vegetables] [ Strawberry picking tips] [ Blueberries picking tips]
Illustrated Canning, Freezing, Jam Instructions and Recipes
[ All About Home Canning, Freezing and Making Jams, Pickles, Sauces, etc. ] [FAQs - Answers to common questions and problems] [Recommended books about home canning, jam making, drying and preserving!] [Free canning publications to download and print]