Resources for Farmers: Agri-Entertainment, PYO, U-Pick, Corn MAzes, Pumpkin Patches and Other direct to the consumer Farm Operations!
This month's notes: April 2016: Strawberries have a very brief season; and the start in early April in the South, don't miss them: See your state's crop availability calendar for more specific dates of upcoming crops. And see our guide to local fruit and vegetable festivals, such as strawberry festivals and blueberry festivals. Organic farms are identified in green! Also make your own ice cream - see How to make ice cream and ice cream making equipment and manuals. Have fun, eat healthier and better tasting, and save money by picking your own locally grown fruit and vegetables, and then using our easy canning and freezing directions
Subscribe to our: Email alerts; Follow us on Twitter Add this page to your favorites! - Email this page to a friend, or to yourself
Resources for Farmers
Are you interested in starting a PYO operation? Or you are looking for information to help manage your operation better? The information below ought to be of great value to you! Start with the first link below about how to start a pick-your-own farm, and remember, you can list your farm, orchard, pumpkin patch, horse riding stables, Christmas tree farm etc, on this website for free!
Here are some of the U-pick-specific resources I've found on the internet:
How to start a pick-your-own or other agri-entertainment operation
- Our page on how to start a pick-your-own!
- Find your county extension agent's office
- Farm properties and land for sale or wanted to buy! It is free to list a farm or farm real estate service here!
- TV, Radio, Magazine and Newspaper Stories About or Including Pick-Your-Own
- Kerrcenter publications on successful_CSA's
- Agriculture.com's guide
- Liability and insurance issues and management
- List of State Agri-Tourism Associations And Agencies
Books about starting or managing your own agribusiness - These books are
highly rated by customers on Amazon. Click on the Amazon boxes for
- U-Pick Blueberries: An Alternative Enterprise Guidebook is a short guide for those interested in setting up a u-pick enterprise. Cost: $7.50 (shipping included). Contact: Yellow Wood Associates, Inc., 95 South Main Street, St. Albans, VT, 05478; phone: (802) 524-6141.
- Unique Niches: Agritourism in Britain and New England (a publication)
- Commercial strawberry production guide
Training, Seminars and Conferences
- Yosemite Sequoia RC&D "Growing Your AgNature Tourism Business
Geno Mehalik, AgriTourism Project Manager 559-877-8663
Free Agritourism & Nature Tourism Workshops, Tours & Classes Coming to Fresno & Tulare Counties: Yosemite/Sequoia Resource Conservation & Development Council, the University of California Cooperative Extension Fresno County, and the UC Small Farm Program are teaming up to offer a smorgasbord of agritourism education for farmers and ranchers in Fresno and Tulare counties:
Click here for a PDF sheet about the free conferences in November/December 2011
Click here for a Word doc of the November/December 2011 schedule
Another PDF about the conferences
Supplies and management services
- Containers for your customers
- Shipping containers for apples and other fruit.
- Water Management and crop enhancement - M&D Enterprises has a water management program which they say will increase the efficiency of water. Reduce runoff which will reduce erosion, increase effectiveness of herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers, elimination of dry spots on lawns, pastures, crop fields, and alfalfa. Seed treatment for germination and root growth. A liquid micronutritional fertilizer supplement to help maximize crop yield.
Pumpkin Patches and Corn Mazes
- Using leaves to improve oil and crop quality, while improving the experience for customers - at no cost
- American Society of Agricultural Engineers
- American Society of Agronomy
- California Certified Organic Farmers
- California Farmers Union
- Community Alliance with Family Farmers
- Council for Agricultural Science and Technology
- Ecological Farming Association
- National Corn Growers Association
- The Heartland Conference
- Beginning Farmers.com - provides information for new farmers and potential farmers about: funding resources, finding land, internships and jobs, production practices, marketing strategies, farmer training programs, business planning, useful publications, and lots more.
- Library4farming is publishing a series of books on the web on all aspects of farming. Currently they have published The Yearbook of Agriculture for 1947, titled "Science in Farming". hey have in process the Yearbooks of Agriculture "Gardening for Food and Fun", "Insects" and "Seeds".
More research for farmers
- Organic Vegetable Production in California Series (Seven Publications)
- Summer Squash Production in California
- Pesticides for Specialty Crops
- Chestnut Culture in California
- Guide to Asian Specialty Vegetables in the Central Valley
- Consumer Profiles of Buyers and Non-Buyers of Organic Produce
- News Tips: New Crops for California
- Agricultural Directory and Enterprise Development Publication
- Artichoke Production in California
- Cilantro Production in California
- Eggplant: Recommendations for Maintaining Postharvest Quality
- Edible Pod Pea Production in California
- Specialty Olive Oil Production
- Fresno County Strawberry Research 1996-97
- Extended Season Fresh Market Blueberry Production
- Maximizing Calcium Uptake In Apples
- Okra Production in California
- Production Practices and Sample Costs: Chili Pepper, Eggplant, Lettuce, and Okra
- Small Farm Program Farm Advisor Web Sites
- Online Newsletters and Free Research Publications
- Specialty Crop Profiles
- ANR Publications, University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Postharvest Technology Research and Information Center Produce Facts
Who Is The Typical PYO Customer?
Lists of available cultivars of North American berry crops and nurseries that sell them.
Publications, Factsheets, Infosheets
Minnesota Apple & Strawberry Reports
Ontario Agriculture and Food: Berry Page
PSU Small Fruits web site
Strawberry Eats & Treats - The Guide to Enjoying Strawberries
U. of Florida Strawberry Lab
U. of Vermont Berry Links
Organizations in the states and Canadian provinces that are interested in berries, small fruit, etc.
California Strawberry Commission
Florida Strawberry Growers Association
BC Strawberries.com - Fraser Valley Strawberry Growers Association
N C Strawberry Association
Oregon Raspberry & Blackberry Commission
British Columbia Raspberry Growers' Association
British Columbia Raspberry Industry Development Council
North American Bramble Growers Association
Oregon Raspberry and Blackberry Commission
Home of the Washington Red Raspberry Commission
General - United States
California Tree Fruit Agreement
Fresh Produce Association of the Americas
Georgia Fruit and Vegetable Growers' Association
Michigan State Horticultural Society
Minnesota Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association
New England Produce Council
Northwest Horticultural Council
Northwest Berry and Grape Information Network
Northwest Center for Small Fruits Research
Prairie Fruit Growers Association
Texas Produce Association
United Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Association
Washington State Fruit Commission
Washington State Horticultural Association
General - International
Cornell Fruit Resources - Your gateway to information at Cornell University, the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station & related programs.
http://www.hightunnels.org -- This website is part of a USDA-sponsored project that is testing and promoting high tunnel systems in the Central Great Plains.
National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service http://www.attra.ncat.org/horticultural.html
New England Small Farm Institute -- A private non-profit organization supporting beginning farmers and sustainable small scale agriculture throughout New England.
Growing Algae as a Commercial Crop
National Algae Association - ,
4747 Research Forest Dr., Suite 180, The Woodlands, TX 77381. Phone: 936-321-1125. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open: 24/7, 365 days. Directions: See their website for directions. Payment: . Growing, Harvesting and Extraction on acreage New Algae Production Incubator Program A New Innovative Algae Farming Cooperative Acreage and Services available for qualified Algaepreneurs Learn about the first Algae Production Incubator - a new algae farming cooperative. Algae is one solution to help the US get off of foreign oil, become energy independent and create new jobs. Potential new markets: Jet Fuel Nutraceutical Green Diesel Pharmaceutical Biodiesel Cosmetics Biogasoline Organic Fertilizer Bioplastics Livestock, Poultry and Fish Feed (ADDED: November 18, 2010, suggested by a visitor)
[General picking tips and a guide to each fruit and vegetable] [How much do I need to pick? (Yields - how much raw makes how much cooked or frozen)] [Selecting the right varieties to pick] [All about apple varieties - which to pick and why!] [Picking tips for Vegetables] [ Strawberry picking tips] [ Blueberries picking tips]
Illustrated Canning, Freezing, Jam Instructions and Recipes
[ All About Home Canning, Freezing and Making Jams, Pickles, Sauces, etc. ] [FAQs - Answers to common questions and problems] [Recommended books about home canning, jam making, drying and preserving!] [Free canning publications to download and print]