Looking for Web Site News and Changes in 2020? Scroll down this page and follow the links.
And if you bring home some fruit or vegetables and want to can, freeze, make
jam, salsa or pickles, see this
page for simple, reliable, illustrated canning, freezing or preserving
directions. There are plenty of other related resources, click on the resources dropdown above.
If you have questions or feedback, please let me know! There
are affiliate links on this page. Read our disclosure policy to learn more.
Web Site News and Changes
Web Site News
- More canning directions and recipes: (how to can carrots) Tell us of any
other recipes you want and we'll add them!
- Any suggestions you have, we are all ears!
Use our Feedback form!
- Email notifications: We plan to enable you to sign up to be notified
by email when the crops that you want are ready in the areas that you
Distant past changes
- March 2006 - We've started creating PDF print versions of the canning
directions and recipes - this should result in nicer looking printouts that
are easier to read and use less paper!
- February 2006 - Added more directions: how to make grape, muscadine
and scuppernong jelly, how to can cherries, make pickled beets and pickled
- August 2005 - We have started identifying farms that are certified
as organic, or practicing organic. It looks like it will be slow work, as
many farmers are slow to respond.
- June 2005 - reorganised and updated the
pages and listings
- May 2005 - tightened the page code to reduce page sizes by 30%to
reduce the time it takes pages to load.
- January 2005 - Added directions about
how to freeze corn.
- November 2004 - Added
orange marmalade directions
- July 2004 - added
salsa making instructions,
- June 2004 - Added County maps for each state, added 212 more
- May 2004 - Added South
Africa. Added 323 new farms
- March 2004 - Added local weather reports to each state page
- February 2004 - Australia and
New Zealand have been added!
- January 2004 - Added New Mexico and
Idaho. Hardly any pyo farms there!
- November 2003 - I added Christmas tree farms
- October 2003 - Site traffic has far exceeded even my
expectations, so I found ways to make the pages slimmer and smaller so they
will load faster in your browser and cost me less to host (this is free to
site visitors, but I pay out of my own pocket to host this)
- September 2003 - Content reached the 90% level - Information for
approximately 40 U.S. states, Canada and the UK has been included. I'd
guesstimate that we now covering 90% of the U.S. population within a 1 hr
drive to a pyo farm. Beyond this , word-of-mouth and farms writing in is
how we expect to add more. So if you know of anymore good pyo / u-pick
- May 2003 - Web site was launched!
Remember to ALWAYS call the farm or orchard BEFORE you go -
weather, heavy picking and business conditions can always affect their hours and
The Presto Pressure
canners are out
of stock, but Tfal's
Above is the
2020 version of
the Ball Blue Book