Where in California to find pick your own farms and orchards for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins and canning & freezing instructions!
This month's notes: March 2014: Spring is just around the corner. Strawberries are here in Florida, Texas and California, next in late March and April for much of the South, then in May for most of the country and June in cooler northern areas. See how easy it is to make strawberry jam or strawberry-rhubarb jam! See this page for hundreds of easy canning and freezing instructions/recipes, canning equipment guide! Also make your own ice cream - see How to make ice cream and ice cream making equipment and manuals. Then see each state's crop availability calendar for more specific dates of upcoming crops. Organic farms are identified in green! See our guide to local fruit and vegetable festivals!. Please tell the farms you found them here - and ask them to update their information!!
This page provides a detailed list of California's pick- your- own (PYO, U-pick, pick-it-yourself) farms for everything from apples, berries, fruit, pumpkins, vegetables to cut-you-own Christmas trees!
To find a farm in your area, just click on the area of the map (further down this page) nearest you; or click here for:
Click on the map at the bottom of the page to see listings for your area - OR click here for:
- Marin and Sonoma counties
- Colusa, Napa, Sacramento, Solano, Sutter, Yolo and Yuba counties
- North mountain region (Butte, Glenn and Tehama counties)
- Mendocino and Lake counties
- Northern California
- Northeastern California (Modoc, Lassen and Plumas counties)
- El Dorado County
- Amador, Calaveras, Alpine, Tuolumine and Mono Counties
- Nevada, Placer and Sierra counties
- San Francisco and San Mateo
- Santa Cruz County
- Santa Clara County
- Alameda and Contra Costa Counties
- San Joaquin and Stanislaus counties
- Central coastal California Area (Monterey and San Benito counties)
- Central California Area (Fresno, Kings, Merced, Madera, Inyo and Tulare counties)
Southern California areas:
- Los Angeles County
- Orange County
- Riverside county
- San Bernardino County
- Kern counties
- San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara counties
- Far south California (San Diego and Imperial counties)
- Ventura County
- Crop availability calendar/ harvest schedule
- To find pumpkin patches, corn mazes and other Halloween activities, click here.
- To find choose and cut-your-own Christmas tree farms, click here.
|Current Weather - Enter a zip code above for a different location.|
|San Fran area (Brentwood)||Julian - Ramona near San Diego||Fresno||Bakersfield|
Home Canning Kits
Features:* All the tools you need for hot waterbath canning - in one comprehensive set!
* Complete with 21 1/2 qt. enameled waterbath canner and "Ball Blue Book" of canning.
* Also includes canning rack, funnel, jar lifter, jar wrencher, bubble freer, tongs and lid lifter.
* A Kitchen Krafts exclusive collection.
This is the same type of standard canner that my grandmother used to
make everything from applesauce to jams and jellies to tomato and
spaghetti sauce. This complete kit includes everything you need and lasts
for years: the canner, jar rack, jar grabber tongs, lid lifting wand, a
plastic funnel, labels, bubble freer, and the bible of canning, the Ball
Blue Book. It's much cheaper than buying the items separately. You'll
never need anything else except jars & lids (and the jars are reusable)!
There is also s simple kit with just the canner and rack, and a pressure
canner, if your want to do vegetables (other than tomatoes). To see
more canners, of different
styles, makes and prices, click here!
Average Customer Review:
[General picking tips and a guide to each fruit and vegetable] [How much do I need to pick? (Yields - how much raw makes how much cooked or frozen)] [Selecting the right varieties to pick] [All about apple varieties - which to pick and why!] [Picking tips for Vegetables] [ Strawberry picking tips] [ Blueberries picking tips]
Illustrated Canning, Freezing, Jam Instructions and Recipes
[ All About Home Canning, Freezing and Making Jams, Pickles, Sauces, etc. ] [FAQs - Answers to common questions and problems] [Recommended books about home canning, jam making, drying and preserving!] [Free canning publications to download and print]